RCA summer show: part production line and part performance, Big Dipper is a machine that produces candle chandeliers by automatically dipping wick into vats of molten wax.
The machine is calibrated to make 24 chandeliers in a 24-hour period and was designed in collaboration with a clockmaker.
Big Dipper was designed and built by Sarah van Gameren, a student on the Design Products course at the Royal College of Art in London.
Above and below: van Gameren demonstrating Big Dipper
It is featured in the RCA summer show, which continues until 28 June.
Below is van Gameran's description of the project:
Sarah van Gameren, Platform 8
Big Dipper dips twenty-four chandeliers using the technique of candle making. The machine rotates and lowers strung wick chandeliers periodically, building up 12 layers for each. After twelve hours, twenty-four chandeliers are completed and a new cycle can begin.
- Tyvek World by Luis Eslava and Diego R…amos
- Satellite by Mr Jones Watches at Dezee…n Watch Store
- ÉCAL students take over Apartment N°…50 at Le Corbusier's Cité Radieuse
- PP Møbler launches Hans J Wegner chai…rs to celebrate 100-year anniversary
- Minimal sculptural items by Shigeichir…o Takeuchi
- Punkt. AC 01 by Jasper Morrison
- Minimal Nativity Set made of plain woo…den blocks by Emilie Voirin
- Burden Chair by Apirak Leenharattanara…k
- Macula font by Jacques Le Bailly
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories