RCA summer show: part production line and part performance, Big Dipper is a machine that produces candle chandeliers by automatically dipping wick into vats of molten wax.
The machine is calibrated to make 24 chandeliers in a 24-hour period and was designed in collaboration with a clockmaker.
Big Dipper was designed and built by Sarah van Gameren, a student on the Design Products course at the Royal College of Art in London.
Above and below: van Gameren demonstrating Big Dipper
It is featured in the RCA summer show, which continues until 28 June.
Below is van Gameran's description of the project:
Sarah van Gameren, Platform 8
Big Dipper dips twenty-four chandeliers using the technique of candle making. The machine rotates and lowers strung wick chandeliers periodically, building up 12 layers for each. After twelve hours, twenty-four chandeliers are completed and a new cycle can begin.
- Dutch Design Week presents trends "two y…ears ahead of Milan"
- Earl by llot llov
- Zaza Chair by Omri Barzeev
- Paperlove at Design Miami
- The Yachiyo metal rug by Philippe Maloui…n
- Marc Newson on the projects that got awa…y
- Marc Newson designs "revolutionary" draf…t beer machine for Heineken
- Swarovski Crystal Palace video diaries
- Creatures, Corona and Pacis by Nigel Coa…tes for Slamp
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories