RCA summer show: part production line and part performance, Big Dipper is a machine that produces candle chandeliers by automatically dipping wick into vats of molten wax.
The machine is calibrated to make 24 chandeliers in a 24-hour period and was designed in collaboration with a clockmaker.
Big Dipper was designed and built by Sarah van Gameren, a student on the Design Products course at the Royal College of Art in London.
Above and below: van Gameren demonstrating Big Dipper
It is featured in the RCA summer show, which continues until 28 June.
Below is van Gameran's description of the project:
Sarah van Gameren, Platform 8
Big Dipper dips twenty-four chandeliers using the technique of candle making. The machine rotates and lowers strung wick chandeliers periodically, building up 12 layers for each. After twelve hours, twenty-four chandeliers are completed and a new cycle can begin.
- The (RED) Desk by Jonathan Ive and Marc …Newson
- Cabinet by Dimitri Vangrunderbeek
- Office KGDVS explores strength of materi…als with prototype furniture
- Ron Arad's Spring furniture collection "…turned the direction of Moroso"
- Dezeen Platform: Jólan van der Wiel
- Batucada collection by Jahara Studio
- Reflective dish of water to be installed… at International Garden Festival in Quebec
- Tourbillon by A+A cooren
- Gene Cafe by Gwenael Lewis for Bocci
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories