RCA summer show: part production line and part performance, Big Dipper is a machine that produces candle chandeliers by automatically dipping wick into vats of molten wax.
The machine is calibrated to make 24 chandeliers in a 24-hour period and was designed in collaboration with a clockmaker.
Big Dipper was designed and built by Sarah van Gameren, a student on the Design Products course at the Royal College of Art in London.
Above and below: van Gameren demonstrating Big Dipper
It is featured in the RCA summer show, which continues until 28 June.
Below is van Gameran's description of the project:
Sarah van Gameren, Platform 8
Big Dipper dips twenty-four chandeliers using the technique of candle making. The machine rotates and lowers strung wick chandeliers periodically, building up 12 layers for each. After twelve hours, twenty-four chandeliers are completed and a new cycle can begin.
- The Pavilion by Morag Myerscough and Luk…e Morgan
- Snog frozen yogurt shop by Cinimod Studi…o
- Piamo by Gemodo Coffee and Lunar Europe
- C Collection by Yves Béhar for HBF
- Lift by Staffan Holm for One Nordic
- Design Indaba videos: Haldane Martin
- Nathalie Dackelid's "wooden tablecloth" …folds out to form table extensions
- Local Collection by Maxim Velčovský
- Back Room - Adults Only by Mike Meiré
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories