RCA summer show: part production line and part performance, Big Dipper is a machine that produces candle chandeliers by automatically dipping wick into vats of molten wax.
The machine is calibrated to make 24 chandeliers in a 24-hour period and was designed in collaboration with a clockmaker.
Big Dipper was designed and built by Sarah van Gameren, a student on the Design Products course at the Royal College of Art in London.
Above and below: van Gameren demonstrating Big Dipper
It is featured in the RCA summer show, which continues until 28 June.
Below is van Gameran's description of the project:
Sarah van Gameren, Platform 8
Big Dipper dips twenty-four chandeliers using the technique of candle making. The machine rotates and lowers strung wick chandeliers periodically, building up 12 layers for each. After twelve hours, twenty-four chandeliers are completed and a new cycle can begin.
- Nordpark Cable Railway by Zaha Hadid Arc…hitects
- Fossilisation machine results by Austin …Houldsworth
- N-Light Membrane by Numen/For Use contai…ns an infinite grid of light
- Formafantasma uses saxophones and a bras…s pendulum to track the passing of time
- Donky Bike by Ben Wilson
- "There is no nature anymore" – Liam Yo…ung of Tomorrow's Thoughts Today
- Heimlicht by Leoni Werle
- Oasis by Claesson Koivisto Rune, Luca Ni…chetto Jean-Marie Massaud and Front for Offecct
- Interieur 2012 uniforms by Damien Fredri…ksen Ravn
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories