Milan 2013: German designer Ingo Maurer's table without any legs has gone into production with British brand Established & Sons.
The white table top appears to float at first glance, but is in fact supported on an extended arm from each of the four black chairs.
Ingo Maurer devised a hidden mechanism beneath the table that allows the chairs to be pulled out so users can sit down. Rectangular and circular surfaces are available.
Here is some extra information from Established & Sons:
This innovative piece is the first production table from the widely celebrated designer, Ingo Maurer. On first inspection, it appears to be archetypal wooden kitchen table and chairs but on closer viewing the table is revealed as ‘floating’; without any legs, supported by a simple extending mechanism which connects the chairs. Maurer has drawn inspiration from magic, ethereal substance and weightlessness. Floating Table invites the user to look more carefully at their simple daily objects and furniture for elements of surprise.
- Ply by Lievore Altherr Molina for Arper
- Glithero patterns fabric using organ mus…ic
- Okay Studio to exhibit hardwood designs …at Clerkenwell Design Week
- A3 Animals by Michael Schoner
- Nendo's second Draftsman watch is based …on circular stencils
- Design Department Store at SCP
- Furniture by Axel Bjurström
- Global Street Food by Mike Meiré for Do…rnbracht
- Lyndon Neri and Alberto Alessi pay tribu…te to Michael Graves
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories